Registration Renewal Fees in Colorado
Renewing your registration will require you to pay a few types of fees: your License Fees, an Ownership Tax, a processing fee and, if you choose to renew through our site, our agency fee. The fees are broken down as follows:
- These fees are based on the age and weight of the vehicle, so the newer or heavier the vehicle, the more you will owe. License fees can range anywhere from $50 to several hundred dollars, but are typically about $125 for the average passenger vehicle.
- There is a mandatory tax with each renewal that is based on the "taxable value" of your vehicle. The final tax amount is a percentage based on the taxable value of your vehicle and the number of years the vehicle has been in service (or the number of years since the vehicle's model year). For passenger vehicles, the taxable value is 85% of the MSRP, and for light trucks it is 75% of the MSRP. Below is a table showing the final tax percentages for vehicles based upon their number of years in service:
- 1st Year: 2.1% of "taxable value"
- 2nd Year: 1.5% of "taxable value"
- 3rd Year: 1.2% of "taxable value"
- 4th Year: 0.9% of "taxable value"
- 5th-9th Year: 0.45% of "taxable value"
- Beyond 9 Years: Minimum $3/year
- Example: A 2015 Honda Civic is renewed in 2017. The original MSRP of the Civic was $21,500. Since this is a passenger vehicle, the ownership tax is calculated by taking 85% of the original MSRP, which equals $18,275. Since the vehicle has been in service 3 years (2015, 2016 and 2017), the final tax is calculated as 1.2% of this number, which equals $219.30.
- There is a late fee of $25 per month after initial grace period (one month) but not to exceed $100. So, 1 month late = no fee. 2 months late = $25. 10 months late = $100.
- In addition to License Fees and Ownership Tax, the online vehicle system also charges a processing fee. This fee is approximately 2.7% of the transaction, but may vary.
Third Party Agency Fee:
- This site charges an agency fee starting at $12.00 to process your online transaction with the state on your behalf. This fee is not required and will not be assessed if you choose to renew your vehicle through the official state portal. There are valuable benefits associated with this fee, including One-Click Renewal, Night/Weekend email support, quick status checks, error-free processing, DMV advocates and much more. We also guarantee your satisfaction, so if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.
- On the checkout page for your renewal, you will see the above listed fees detailed according to your vehicle specifications. The total cost to you will be clearly itemized for you prior to payment.
- Please note that the fees that you will see associated with your vehicle on this website may be an estimate based upon the information you have provided to us (car type, vehicle location, etc.) and the final amount charged to your card may vary slightly when we process your transaction with the state.
StateRegistration.org is a private third party agency committed to making your registration renewal as simple and secure as possible. When you renew with our assistance, you benefit from these valuable enhancements to the standard online process:
- One-Click Renewals
- DMV Assistance
- Secure Processing
- Night/Weekend Support
- Satisfaction Guarantee
- Fast Response Times
- No Maintenance Time
- More Payment Options
- Mobile Friendly
- Text Notifications
- Ticket Protection
- Apple Pay Accepted
"Wow! I have to say I am seriously impressed. To your management and team...I must say I seriously applaud the responsiveness and quick action on your end."-Steffan M., Texas
"I'm really impressed of how quickly you respond. Probably the best Customer Support I have ever had the pleasure of corresponding with."-Jon L., Texas
"THANK YOU FOR THE PROMPT REPLY, YOU FOLKS CONTINUE TO DO GREAT WORK PLEASE DON'T CHANGE A THING."-Richard D., Virginia