Registration Renewal Fees in Washington
Renewing your registration will require you to pay a few types of fees: your vehicle registration fee, vehicle excise tax, a service fee, additional fees, and, if you choose to renew through our site, our agency fee. The fees are broken down as follows:
Vehicle Registration Fee:
- The minimum state fee to renew a passenger vehicle is $30. There is also an additional $4.50 filing fee, and other electronic processing fees for processing your renewal online.
Regional Transit Authority Motor Vehicle Excise Tax:
For vehicles located in King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties, there is an excise tax assessed. The first formula used to calculate the fee is the current year minus the year of the vehicle plus 1 to find the years of service. Once you have the years of service, you will reference the chart found here to determine the depreciation percentage to be used for your vehicle’s year.
Use the correct depreciation percentage based on your vehicle’s years of service and take the original MSRP of the vehicle multiplied by the depreciated percentage to determine your vehicle’s depreciated value. Then, take your depreciated value and multiply it by 1.1% to determine your current excise tax rate.
Example for a 2016 Honda Odyssey:
Depreciation years: 2019 (current year) - 2016 (year the vehicle was made) = 3 + 1 = 4 total years of depreciation
4th year depreciation percentage is 83% according to the current schedule.
$30,000 (original MSRP) x 83% (depreciation)= $24,900
$24,900 (reduced value) x 1.1% (current excise tax rate) = $273.90 due
- There is a $8 service fee collected with each renewal.
Gross Weight Fees:
- For many vehicles, there is a fee based on your vehicle's gross weight. This fee typically ranges from $38 to $100, but can be much more for large trucks or commercial vehicles.
Electric Car Fee:
- There is an additional $150 fee for electric vehicles.
Plate Fee (if applicable):
- If you are required to obtain a new plate, there is a $37.25 fee.
Third Party Agency Fee:
- This site charges an agency fee starting at $12.00 to process your online transaction with the state on your behalf. This fee is not required and will not be assessed if you choose to renew your vehicle through the official state portal. There are valuable benefits associated with this fee, including One-Click Renewal, Night/Weekend email support, quick status checks, error-free processing, DOL advocates and much more. We also guarantee your satisfaction, so if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.
- On the checkout page for your renewal, you will see the above listed fees detailed according to your vehicle specifications. The total cost to you will be clearly itemized for you prior to payment.
- Please note that the fees that you will see associated with your vehicle on this website may be an estimate based upon the information you have provided to us (car type, vehicle location, etc.) and the final amount charged to your card may vary slightly when we process your transaction with the state.
- One-Click Renewals
- DOL Assistance
- Free Tab Replacement
- Secure Processing
- Night/Weekend Support
- Satisfaction Guarantee
- Fast Response Times
- No Maintenance Time
- More Payment Options
- Mobile Friendly
- Text Notifications
- Ticket Protection
- Apple Pay Accepted
"Wow! I have to say I am seriously impressed. To your management and team...I must say I seriously applaud the responsiveness and quick action on your end."-Steffan M., Texas
"I'm really impressed of how quickly you respond. Probably the best Customer Support I have ever had the pleasure of corresponding with."-Jon L., Texas
"THANK YOU FOR THE PROMPT REPLY, YOU FOLKS CONTINUE TO DO GREAT WORK PLEASE DON'T CHANGE A THING."-Richard D., Virginia