Registration Eligibility Requirements in Texas
To renew your vehicle registration for this county, the TxDMV stipulates that you must meet the following requirements:
- Your vehicle registration may be renewed 90 days before the expiration date, or up to six months after the expiration date, if you have not received a citation for expired registration. Your expiration month will not change.
- As the vehicle owner, you must be a resident of the county with which you are renewing.
- You must have an active e-mail account.
- You must carry at least the minimum amount of liability insurance required by Texas law. As part of the online registration renewal process, the TexasSure Vehicle Insurance Verification Program will automatically check to verify that you have the proper insurance. You must enter your insurance information when TexasSure cannot verify.
- Vehicles required to have an annual state safety inspection must do so before renewal of registration. As part of the online registration renewal process, the inspection database will automatically check to verify you have a current, passing inspection. If your vehicle is located outside of Texas, such as those operated by active duty military, you must self-certify during the online renewal process.
- You must have a valid credit card. VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover cards are acceptable for online registration renewal. If you renew online, the total price includes non-refundable funds that support the ongoing operations and enhancements of Texas.gov. There is also a $1 "mail-in fee" that covers your county's cost to process and mail your sticker and/or license plates.
- The total gross weight of your vehicle is 54,999 pounds or less.
- You may renew your vehicle registration without having received the renewal notice mailed to you each year.
- Transportation Code 502.146 requires an owner of a truck, trailer or semi-trailer registered with farm plates to provide their Texas Agriculture or Timber Registration Number as issued by the Texas Comptroller upon renewal of such plates. If exempt from this requirement under 502.146, renewal may only take place by mail or in person at the local county tax assessor-collector's office.